Bringing Mediterranean Food to your Kitchen
Juicy prawns coated with the pungent yet mild aroma of garlic is surprisingly a perfect partner to the fresh and tropical avocado. This fruit is either very versatile, very famous, or just simply delicious. And this simple recipe with easy-to-find ingredients is amazingly a bomb entrée.
Avocado is one of the most famed food ingredients at the moment. There is no doubt that it should be at the top tier because this humble yellow-green stone fruit with a creamy texture is packed with nutrients. The humble avocado is rich in vitamins C, E, K and B6 and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and beta-carotene. Avocado contains healthy beneficial fats that can help you feel full and satiated. It is known to bring significant benefits for the body for both the young and old.
Simple prawns or shrimps are always a treat. This sumptuous seafood ingredient is a staple in most entrees. It is simple and readily available in markets and groceries. Quick and easy to prepare, prawns can be paired with any ingredient, even the exotic avocado.
The featured recipe for today can be dubbed either as an appetizer or a full meal which can surely satiate both your tummy and your palate.
For the garlic prawns:
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon ( approx. half a lemon)
- 500 grams prawns, tail removed, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Cooked prawns
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon ( half a lemon)
- Salt for seasoning
- 1 loaf of sourdough or French bread, cut into 1cm slices
How to Cook :
- Pre-heat oven to grill settings on medium to high heat. Slice the bread into 1 cm portions and place on a lightly-greased baking tray sprayed with cooking oil. Grill bread until golden brown. Remove from the tray and set aside.
Cooking the garlic prawns:
- Peel, devein and remove the tail of the prawns. In a bowl, combine paprika, garlic, lemon juice and prawns and mix well. Season with salt according to your taste. Drizzle some garlic oil onto a large skillet or a large frying pan. Place the prawn and seasoning mixture in the skillet. Heat the skillet over medium to high heat for about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add the parsley and cook for another 2 minutes until the prawns change color. Set aside.
For the Avocado Salad:
- Combine the avocado, tomato, lemon juice and salt in a bowl. Mix the ingredients well. Add the prawns and fold through gently until just combined. Spoon prawn and avocado mixture onto the toasted bread and, voila! You have your garlic prawns and avocado bites! Great to eat even hot or cold.
Calories: 212 kcal Carbohydrates: 24.8 g Protein: 11.8 g Fat: 6.2 g Fiber: 1.2 g
Garlic Prawn and Avocado Bites recipe is a complete appetizer slash full meal. Prawns being the seafood ingredient gives this yummy treat a protein kick while the plant-based avocado is bursting with helpful and healthful qualities. This meal spells not only delicious but also nutritious.